How is Sophos Central licensed?
At Sophos Central, there are a few things you need to be aware of when licensing correctly. Here is a brief summary of what you need to keep in mind when purchasing Central licenses.
First purchase or renewal
If you wish to purchase a license for a Central product from our store, you can choose to buy it for the first time or renew it. When you first purchase a license for a specific Sophos Central product, such as Intercept X, you will correctly select the “initial” purchase option here. The “renewal” option may only be selected if you already own a license for this product and wish to extend the term.
Right of use
When selling Sophos Central licenses, Sophos differentiates between customers that are normal businesses (corporate), educational institutions (education) and governments.
Important: If you feel that you are in the
Government category, please ask us beforehand. We must first check this with Sophos before issuing such a license.
Number of licenses
The most important point regarding correct licensing is the number of licenses. The following modules are licensed per user:
- Sophos Central Endpoint
- Sophos Central Intercept X
- Sophos Central Intercept X Advanced
- Sophos Central Intercept X Advanced with EDR
- Sophos Central Mobile
- Sophos Central Mobile Security
- Sophos Central Email Gateway
- Sophos Central Device Encryption
- Sophos Central Phish Threat
The following products do not license per user, but per device:
- Sophos Central Server (per server license)
- Sophos Intercept X Advanced for Server (Lizenz pro Server)
- Sophos Intercept X Advanced for Server with EDR (Lizenz pro Server)*
- Sophos Central Wireless (license per access point)
*Server licenses with EDR cannot be mixed with other server licenses. If you want to license the EDR features on your servers, you must do this for all your servers that you manage through Central.
Info: Terminal Server licensing changed for thin client environments on January 1, 2019. Whereas previously an Endpoint Protection license had to be purchased for each thin client even though no AV could be installed on it, this is no longer required with immediate effect.