As of August 20, 2019, Sophos Sandstorm now analyzes your files in a data center in Frankfurt, Germany. This will certainly please customers who have concerns about compliance with the GDPR or further Brexit developments. On the XG Firewall, the selection looks like this:
Sophos Sandstorm explained very briefly
If you have licensed Email or Web Protection on your Sophos Firewall, whether UTM or XG, Sophos Sandstorm can give you even more security on these modules. With this module, files that are to be downloaded from the Internet or sent as attachments by email are first analyzed in greater detail in a Sophos data center and then approved or blocked. If you want to learn a little more about Sophos Sandstorm, read our blog post about it, where we present Sandstorm in detail.
Data centers for file analysis
The following sites are available to Sandstorm for data analysis:
- Europe: Germany → Frankfurt NEW
- Europe: United Kingdom → London
- Asia: Japan, Tokyo
Where can I select the new data analysis location in Frankfurt?
Sophos offers Sandstorm’s technology not only on the UTM or SFOS. Sophos Sandstorm is also deployed on the web or email appliance. However, the new data analysis location in Frankfurt cannot be selected everywhere per se:
- Sophos Firewall with SFOS (XG Firewall) – “Frankfurt” location can already be selected since August 20, 2019.
- Sophos Firewall with UTM OS (SG Firewall) – The location “Frankfurt” can be selected from UTM version 9.7.
- Sophos Web Appliance – The “Frankfurt” location can be selected as of version 4.3.9.
- Sophos Email Appliance – Manual selection is not possible here.
If you automatically assign the analysis location for Sandstorm in the settings, “Frankfurt” will be automatically selected from October 2019, provided you are also in this vicinity. However, this is decided by the latency-based routing of Amazon DNS.